Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Mascaras... A Quickie Post - PART II



A continuation/update of the apparently useful post that I wrote a couple years ago (here!). Just a little note about my personal preference on mascaras these days: I gravitate towards drier formulas and tend to hang on to wetter formulations until they dry out a bit, and then they're usually perfectly to my liking, so if I list wet formula as a con, but then say I'd repurchase it, know that I probably let it dry out and then really appreciated the way the formula performed. Lord knows I've tried a lot of mascaras since my initial mascara quickie post, so I'll try to comment on whatever I can remember. Luckily, I have a desk drawer full of mascaras to jog my memory. ...Yes, I may be a slight cosmetic hoarder. Onto the list!

Product: Tom Ford Beauty Extreme Mascara
Pros: very volumizing and lengthening formula
Cons: price
Repurchase?: If I have the money lying around, yes. It exceeded my expectations.

Product: Joe Fresh Lash Plump Mascara
Pros: dry formula, huge brush, big volume
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Definitely.

Product: MAC Haute & Naughty Too Black Extreme
Pros: two lash looks in one tube thanks to the dual-wiper system that allows you to go between clean definition and major volume
Cons: the amped-up lash look can sometimes lean a bit to the spider-lash side, so watch out!
Repurchase?: Absolutely.

Product: MAC In Extreme Dimension 3D Black Lash
Pros: huge polymer molded brush that delivers a high level of definition
Cons: the formula is a bit on the wet side
Repurchase?: Probably not, I'll stick with Haute & Naughty Too Black Extreme if I rebuy any mascara from MAC.

Product: Guerlain Maxi Lash
Pros: volume, curl, no lash stiffness
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Most definitely. Check out this formula's violet iteration if you're in the mood for something different!

Product: Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara
Pros: clean, defined volume
Cons: makes an absurd mess during removal
Repurchase?: No way, José. This stuff resembles Lauren Conrad mascara tears during removal.

Product: Urban Decay Lush Lash
Pros: lash growth serum in the formula, awesome volume and length
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Yes. Have a backup of this on standby, and have gone through a few tubes. 

Product: Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume
Pros: polymer brush (similar to MAC's In Extreme Dimension) that dishes up definition
Cons: wet formula didn't seem to deliver on the volume claim
Repurchase?: None for me, thanks!

Product: CoverGirl Clump Crusher
Pros: no clumps thanks to the polymer wand
Cons: slight stiffness of lashes
Repurchase?: Yes. Hyper-affordable cleanly defined lashes.

Product: Stila Forever Your Curl Curl Memory Mascara
Pros: smaller wand that can allow you to sort of...coax your lashes into the end look you desire
Cons: weirdly creamy formula that actually smudged on me (unheard of!)
Repurchase?: No thank you!

Product: Bourjois Volume Fast & Perfect
Pros: rotating wand (two directions for upper and lower lashlines), awesome volumizing formula
Cons: damn near impossible to find in Canada :(
Repurchase?: I have a couple backups of this since I first tried it in Australia last year, with every intention of hunting down MORE (cuz I'm crazy like that).

Product: Dior Diorshow New Look
Pros: teeny, tiny, very non-Dior wand that's great for getting to the roots to maximize lashes (superb for anyone who doesn't have a ton of lashes to go around)
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Yes. I occasionally forget how solid this mascara is, but I'd definitely grab another tube. It's a great brush!

Product: Dior Diorshow Iconic Overcurl
Pros: curved wand to encourage lashes to curl, excellent formula
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: I already have a backup of this ready and waiting to be opened. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

Product: Maybelline The Falsies Big Eyes Volum'Express
Pros: two wands (normal wand for top lashes and a skinny wand for bottom lashes)
Cons: wet formula didn't give much volume
Repurchase?: Neg. Great concept, but I'll save my coins for another drugstore offering.

Product: Marcelle Power Volume Mascara
Pros: big wand, densely packed bristles, volumizing formula
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Already have a backup.  (.....Are we noticing a trend yet? And by "trend", I may mean "spiraling addiction"...)

Product: ARDENCY INN PUNKER Unrivaled Volume & Curl Lash Wax
Pros: waxy formula leaves lashes supersoft, high-impact volume
Cons: gigantic wand could be a bit of a challenge due to unusual croissant shape, crazy messy removal
Repurchase?: No. I'll use it up, but messy removal is a no-go with me.

Product: Chanel Le Volume de Chanel
Pros: crazy cool wand that is kind of like snowflakes stacked upon each other, wicked volumizing formula that results in the craziest volume ever with minimal strokes/effort
Cons: absolutely none
Repurchase?: In a heartbeat. I own this in three colour variations and am obsessed with this formula.

Product: Marc Jacobs Beauty  Lash Lifter - Gel Volume Mascara
Pros: lightweight formula doesn't weigh lashes down
Cons: ....but the formula doesn't do anything at all.
Repurchase?: Nope. Returned it. Super lacklustre performance, sadly.

Product: L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly
Pros: fibre formula with a really innovative wand that allows you to emphasize the corner lashes for a visual eyelift, formula removes without little fibre bits going all over the place
Cons: formula is wet at first
Repurchase?: Yes. As with all Voluminous mascaras I've tried, they're awesome once they dry out a bit. This one is GREAT!

Product: YSL Faux Cils Babydoll
Pros: nice departure from the usual Faux Cils brush (this one has a molded wand), clean volume
Cons: smell irritates eyes well after application
Repurchase?: No. It's a fine mascara, no issue there, but for the price, I'm sure I can find something else I enjoy using more that doesn't irritate my eyes.

Product: Maybelline One By One Volum'Express
Pros: molded wand + great formula = awesome volume
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Have and will repurchase. Solid drugstore find!

Product: L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions
Pros: lengthening formula that also gives subtle volume, overall high impact lashes
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Absolutely. It's a great formula for a great price! 

Product: Maybelline The Volum'Express Mega Plush Lash
Pros: lightweight gel-mousse formula, bendy brush head
Cons: big wand made getting to lash roots messier than it should've been
Repurchase?: Nah, plenty of other drugstore mascaras I'd rather use.

Product: CoverGirl Flamed Out
Pros: hourglass brush fits contour of lashline, hollow bristles hold more product to deposit on lashes, formula is on the drier side so I don't have to wait ages for it to dry
Cons: nada
Repurchase?: Yes! Big volume for little money. Huge love.



Disclosure: This post contains product(s) sent from the company or their PR team for editorial consideration. For more information, please click here.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Excess Is Just My Character. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig