Sunday, September 25, 2016

Loving Lately - August 2016


Hard to believe August has come and gone, meaning the last days of summer are upon us. It was a markedly less hectic month, with no weddings to attend and only one baby shower in the calendar. What I've been focused on the past month is improving the structure I have in my daily routine, working more gym visits into my schedule, which has been genuinely great. As a person who never prioritized exercise in any stage of my life up until now, it's exciting to not hate the concept of working out. Endorphins are finally a thing in my existence, so that's awesome. As a result, my hair looks like hell majority of the time and makeup is usually kept to brows/lashes until I'm in a post-workout state. If it's late in the day, makeup doesn't happen at all. It's been a shift in habits in more ways than one, but nothing that's bothered me too much. Newness has been minimal this month, but a Manhattan visit is looming just after Labour Day, so I reckon there'll be much to gush about thereafter! In the meantime, here's a few items I've found appealing in this last stretch of summer.


Burberry blushes are the definition of user-friendly in my experience. They are offered up in wearable colours that are usually quite difficult to overdo in application. The one shade of this range I've seen hyped up over and over again is "Earthy", which, as you can imagine, is a taupe shade with a greyish undertone. I have it and basically never reach for it since it's about the same shade depth as my own skin tone, making it a stupidly subtle contour shade, if anything at all. I saw this cute little set on sephora.ca and couldn't resist the allure of miniature products. I'm not a massive Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base fan, which is a liquid illuminating base that they seem to put an obscene amount of marketing behind given how unremarkable its performance is. It's not a bad product, it's just a product that doesn't do much of anything. The size included is that of a deluxe sample, and I've more or less used it up already so let's focus on the lipstick, blush and kabuki brush. The lipstick included is a mini Lip Velvet in "Rosewood" (yes, yet another rosewood addition to my collection), and it actually isn't too light for me, which I consider a huge victory for my pigmented lips. The blush is a midtone pink, a little on the muted side, but still pigmented. I've enjoyed wearing it right on the apples of my cheeks and lightly dusted across my eyelids for a monochrome, slightly-80s look that it quick, easy and pretty. No issues with patchiness and I actually love the floral fragrance of this blush. The mini kabuki is actually decent quality and comes in a tiny velvet case, making it one of the cuter things I've ever owned. No complaints about this purchase, I downright adore it!



Fall is upon is and it's hardly shocking to see yet another season of nude shades, and the worst part is I'm not even sick of it. Armani's Eye Tints are usually a microfine shimmer finish, but this new range of shades are all matte and lovely. The full range is swatched here and gives you a solid idea of the colours and finish. I love #23 Camel Smoke as a wash all over the lid for daytime, as well as #21 Fur Smoke through the crease and buffed out in a rounded shape for evening. The formula does not crease at all, and I don't use an additional primer. In no way have I been exempt from perspiration this summer, especially through my face, so the steadfast nature of this formula is a blessing. What drew me to such moody colours in the middle of the summer? Sabyasachi's Instagram account, of course. The type of look depicted all over that IG account makes me wanna get LASIK ASAP, just to sport dark lids all day, every day. I always feel it's overkill with glasses. *sighs wistfully*



I suppose you could consider this an almost-cheap thrill, since the price point isn't that high by department store brand standards. This tinted lip product occupies the space between a gloss and balm, imparting soft shine, moisture and a bit of colour for a very easy-going product that smells sweet as hell, yet somehow abstains from crossing into cloying territory. I love this colour, which certainly isn't as milky and light as one may think by looking at the tube, and it also goes on semi-sheer, so your natural lip colour can shine through a bit. I have kept this in my purse all summer and it has been so clutch when out and about for a little hydration and low-key, no-mirror-needed application.



Bite is slowly expanding its product roster to go beyond lips...sort of?! This multi-use product can grace eyes, lips and cheeks for an easy monotone look (or, you know, pick and choose which part(s) of your face you sport it on). The formula is creamy enough to blend out and settles down to very on-trend matte finish. This shade is a little pink to sport on lids, so I've mostly been sticking to lips/cheeks, and it's been perfect for a natural flush or slightly defined lips. In usual Bite fashion, the formulation is silicone-free and this range in particular contains 35% amino acid-covered powders plus some sugarcane-derived squalane, so lips/cheeks/lids won't be dried out. Lots to love here!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Excess Is Just My Character. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig